Sunday, January 22, 2017

J.J. WHAT?

When I go from the Equals to J.J. Fad in a matter of minutes, it's time to give in to distractions. So here's just the first couple legs of my fucking around tonight. It began with a funky live cut from 1968, by the Equals. It may be a full five piece, but all you really hear are the guitar, bass, and drums with the vocals. There's organ in there somewhere, but it's barely audible. Regardless, this isn't anything like "Baby Come Back" or "Police on My Back". This song, as its title suggests, is funky like a train. Funky as it is, and being an extended jam (sixteen minutes plus), you might hear James Brown, or Fela, something like that. But the sparse instrumentation, the guitar, the bareness of the beats, it kind of reminded me of no wave stuff, then it hit me, ESG. Not in structure or sound, just the feel, the naked sound of the rhythm. After a brief stop at ESG's "Moody" it was off to look for their "Erase You", It's been posted here before, but the link went dead. (Unfortunately, no mp3 just streaming, but if you've not heard it, you out to give it a listen.) After that I was off to J.J. Fad's "Supersonic", because I always follow ESG with J.J. Fad. Don't ask me why. I don't know, I just do. I just fucking love "Supersonic", just as much as "Erase You", but the two back to back is a dyn-o-mite pairing. That's where I get off.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Equals - Funky Like a Train mp3 at Art Decade
ESG - Moody mp3
at Loft and Lost
ESG - Erase You
(streaming) at YouTube
JJ Fad - Supersonic mp3
at ATumblr The good stuff starts at :25

No comments: