Sunday, December 10, 2017

PLUG SIDE

Last night I was in the mood for a walk to the main drag a few blocks away. I brought a radio with earbuds (surprisingly good sound for a $15 radio and earbuds found on the beach). I tuned into the jazz station. Blech. I'd forgotten that it was time for the blues show, this particular one my least favorite. It was playing guitar slinger type blues along the lines of the dreaded Blueshammer. I love blues as much as the next guy, but not when some peacock of a guitar player is strutting his stuff. So I switched stations to the r&b station and let me tell you, it was a yowza moment. The opening beats of Run DMC's "It's Like That" from their first LP. Man, I love vintage Run DMC. I worked in a restaurant when it came out, and the dishwasher played it non-stop for months. I remember thinking at the time that it was a turning point in rap. It was stripped down and powerful. No disco beats. That first Run DMC LP is right up there with the Sex Pistols debut inasmuch as it was raw and it took things in a entirely different direction.



After I got home it occurred to me that it was about the time of year to hit "Christmas In Hollis" again. Many of you will know that the horns sampled in it came from Clarence Carter's "Back Door Santa". Those of you who don't, should stop and appreciate that the most prominent sample in the song, the horns, came from another Christmas record and the key thing is, they didn't have to do that. No one would have known one way or another. For whatever reason, I find it cool that they took that extra step..

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Run DMC - It's Like That (streaming) at YouTube
Run DMC - Christmas In Hollis mp3
at Said the Gramophone
Clarence Carter - Back Door Santa mp3
at AM Then FM
More Christmas hip hop:
Kurtis Blow - Christmas Rappin'
(streaming) at YouTube
Run The Jewels - A Christmas F*cking Miracle
(video) at YouTube
Snoop Doggy Dogg ft. Daz Dillinger, Nate Dogg, Tray Deee, Bad Azz - Santa Claus Goes Straight to the Ghetto
(video) at YouTube

No comments: